Senior Data Engineer
Posted Date: Aug-29-2019
Job ID: 15204
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
As a Senior Data Engineer at REI, you will have the opportunity to work on rich, cross-functional data pipelines and datasets, and influence the long-term evolution of our analytics capability. You should have excellent technical, business and communication skills and be able to translate key business questions into data processes and pipelines, data sets, data models and analysis that answer those questions.
This role uniquely sits in the business group and you will partner closely with the IT team. You will design and develop data pipelines and model complex data sets that will be used by Analysts and Data Scientists to solve for a broad range of strategic and tactical questions ranging from customer relationship management to web analytics and supply chain. This versatile role leverages an understanding of SQL and relational databases, data modeling, and data warehousing, combined with technical aptitude and business understanding to build capacity and insights, enabling REI to deliver outstanding customer experiences. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a wide range of technical & analytical skills and is highly proficient in performing root cause analysis on internal data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Partners with IT to ensure processes and data pipelines are streamlined to ensure datasets are refreshed, available, scalable, and tested
- Utilizes SQL, Python, and/or equivalent coding languages or tools with proficiency to deliver datasets
- Program manage the definition, design, and completion of the development of datasets that support business analysts and data scientists across the Co-op
Bring your passion and expertise
- Advanced SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases
- An understanding of data warehouse technologies and big data workflow
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Experience developing datasets optimized for Tableau
- Knowledge and ability to design and write specifications for overall data models and datasets
- Knowledge of data governance practices and data catalogs is critical to success
- 5+ years experience in data engineering, preferably with a multi-channel retailer
- 3+ years experience in ecommerce
- Prior work experience in data warehouses, ETL, and equivalent
- Excellent understanding of concepts, functionality, and advanced data engineering
- Proven ability to develop data models and deliver quality data to analysts and data scientists
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Strong written and communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in a quantitative or technical discipline such as statistics, economics, business, or math
- Ability to independently set project goals, establish priorities, and planning appropriately to meet and exceed expectations
- Ability to collaborate across the Customer Insights team and the Co-op
- Comfort and skill communicating, written and verbal, with analysts, data scientists, and analytics management
- Maintaining excellent documentation to ensure consistent and broad understanding of the datasets available
- Experience doing business analysis and/or data science a plus
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer