Senior Design Engineer - Cycle
Posted Date: Jan- 2-2019
Job ID: 12845
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
In this position the Sr. Design Engineer for Co-op Cycles is responsible for executing design initiatives by ensuring that all functional, performance, cost and delivery requirements are successfully built into the product. This will include bicycle frames and equipment, in conjunction with component selection.
The Sr. Design Engineer will bring expert knowledge and best practices to the development and delivery of products that will capture the original design intent and satisfy consumer needs for function and performance. The Sr. Design Engineer will work collaboratively within a cross-functional team of Product Strategy, Designers, Developers, Graphic & Color Designers, Merchandising and external vendor partners to innovate and deliver industry-leading products that perform to the highest quality standards, serving as the physical manifestation of the REI Co-op Brand through the lens of Co-op Cycles.
- Advanced understanding of engineering principles and how to effectively implement them in the creation of products
- Exceptional portfolio, demonstrating examples of products created from concept to production, and with successful introduction to market
- Excellent 3D CAD skills are a must, preferably in SolidWorks
- Strong communication (written, oral and visual)
- In-depth understanding of product costing evaluation: tooling, process, materials and component spec
- Expert knowledge of manufacturing processes for metals, composites, plastics (to include machining, forging, casting, molding for composites, injection molding, 3d printing, stamping, hydroforming and extrusion)
- Expert knowledge and application of DFM and DFA principles
- Must be knowledgeable in emerging technologies and state of the art components to bring a point of view to design partners on preferred direction
- Proficiency with Illustrator
- Effective sketching skills to support ideation, nice to have
- Model making and prototyping skills to support project progress and development process
- Self-motivated, with strong problem-solving skills, focus on process efficiencies, and a high attention to detail
- Highly organized with the ability to deliver top quality work in a fast-paced, open team environment, while working on multiple projects in varying levels of development
- Flexibility: Able to work on projects that may change scope or parameters and still meet deadlines
- Demonstrated passion for cycling and outdoor activity of any sort (work related, or personal passion)
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration, product excellence and accountability that is consumer centric
Bring your passion and expertise
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, strongly preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in outdoor hardgoods products or related field
- 3+ years of experience in the bicycle industry is strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of compatibility of components for cycles
- Expert in reading and correcting 2D drawings – includes understand the scaling of geometry for cycles
- Expertise in parametric based 3D solid and surface modeling, top-down design and master modeling
- Informed with current industry standards and testing requirements for the cycle industry
- Candidate must be self-driven, exceptional at collaboration, and have demonstrated experience leading projects from concept to production and engineering best practices within a cross-functional product development process
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of product centric, passionate people who firmly believe that a life outdoors is a life well lived. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work motivated to create amazing gear that enable outdoor experiences for our members.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer