Senior Electrical Engineer
Posted Date: Jun- 7-2021
Job ID: 20271
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
In this position the Sr. Electrical Engineer is responsible for executing design initiatives by ensuring that all functional, safety, cost, and delivery requirements are successfully built into products with integrated electronics. This will include e-bikes and camping gear. The Sr. Electrical Engineer will also have the opportunity to influence strategy and lead growth into new product categories.
The Sr. Electrical Engineer will bring expert knowledge and best practices to the development and delivery of products that will capture the original design intent and satisfy consumer needs for performance and reliability. The Sr. Electrical Engineer will work collaboratively within a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Product Developers, Engineers, and external vendor partners to innovate and deliver industry-leading products that perform to the highest quality standards, serving as the physical manifestation of REI through Co-op Brands.
- Advanced understanding of engineering principles and how to effectively implement them in the creation of products
- Exceptional portfolio, demonstrating examples of products created from concept to production, and with successful introduction to market
- Strong communication (written, oral and visual)
- Expert knowledge and application of various Design for Excellence (DFX) methods
- Must be knowledgeable in emerging technologies and state of the art components to bring a point of view to design partners on preferred direction
- Prototyping skills to support innovation, advanced concepts and in-season development
- Self-motivated, with strong problem-solving skills, focus on process efficiencies, and a high attention to detail
- Highly organized with the ability to deliver top quality work in a fast-paced, open team environment, while working on multiple projects in varying levels of development
- Flexibility: Able to work on projects that may change scope or parameters and still meet deadlines Integrate electrical systems and technologies into e-bikes and camping gear
- Lead the design, development and engineering of new electrical sub-systems and components
- Schematic and PCB layout, component specification
- Battery and battery management system development
- Collaborate on product test plans for applicable in-house and regulatory compliance standards
- Advise Sourcing activities for new manufacturing partners
- Collaborate on firmware development and protocol specifications across product categories
- Provide coaching, direction and leadership support to employees to achieve department, company and customer results
- Advise Leadership team of line plan feasibility, resource needs and long-term growth strategy
Bring your passion and expertise
- BS in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience
- Proficiency in CAD for schematic and PCB layouts, additional experience with simulation software preferred
- Experience with FMEA processes strongly preferred
- Demonstrated project management experience with schedule, budget, and performance criteria
- Familiar with current industry standards and regulatory testing requirements; knowledge of the cycle and outdoor industry is a bonus
- Candidate must be self-driven, exceptional at collaboration, and have demonstrated experience leading projects from concept to production within a concurrent product development model. Experience with agile methodology is a bonus.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer