Senior Manager, Creative Services & Technology Solutions
Posted Date: May- 4-2021
Job ID: 19834
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by delivering strategic leadership and direction for REI's Creative Services teams. Reporting to the Director, Creative Operations, the Sr. Manager, Creative Services supports the enterprise needs for print and digital media assets across the Co-op including Marketing, Digital, Experiences, Human Resources and Co-op Brands. Coupled with these efforts, this role provides tactical leadership of the Production Design, Content Services & Premedia/Post Production, Print Production and Marketing Technology Teams – as well as the management of all media assets within REI and to external partners. The Sr. Manager drives the connection between creative concepting and seamless Production execution. Always looking for ways to simplify and enhance Production processes to deliver against REI’s strategic priorities, this role serves as a model for driving REI’s guiding values, principals and mission.
- Serves as the leader between the business, Information Technology and Digital divisions on technology projects to ensure business needs and requirements are understood, valued, prioritized and communicated
- Ensures strategies are executed according to concept direction and project timelines
- Aligns the Production Design, Print Production and Premedia Teams around industry standards and best practices
- Defines/refines color standards in conjunction with the Print Buyers and print vendors
- Troubleshoots advanced level Production issues to ensure the highest degree of uptime, compatibility, usability
- Manages equipment needs and stays abreast of emerging technologies for Production enhancements
- Ensures Production/Pre-Production efforts drive consistent repeatable results
- Negotiates relevant service contracts and consumable agreements
- Provides leadership alignment with accountability for overall team results
- Increases effectiveness and efficiency of partner marketing programs through development and implementation of processes, standards, roles and tools
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirement.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action
- Models excellent oral and written communication through great interpersonal skills with people in business, creative, and technical positions
- Forges trusting relationships within a diverse team
- Looks for various solutions to accommodate seasonal workload shifts. Leveraging internal full-time and freelance resources as well external solutions as needed
- Works with media developers to optimize front-end code for multiple browsers, platforms, and devices
- Establishes an enterprise digital asset management strategy; communicates and validates this strategy to appropriate stakeholders, successfully implementing and monitoring its progress across all business lines
- Plans the future course of the Production Design, Content Services & Premedia, Print Production and Marketing Technology Teams
- Serves as a Business Systems Manager on organizational technology priorities to ensure they are implemented on time, on budget, and to specifications
- Maintains a high level of knowledge and understanding of tool capabilities and future technology roadmap
- Manages all projects concerning image/video workflow and distribution of assets across the organization.
- Works closely with Digital, Creative, Marketing, Co-op Brands and Media Studio teams to ensure that digital assets meet all technical and quality standards
- Meets customer needs for digital assets in all departments including Marketing, Digital, Adventures, Human Resources, Retail, Brand Stewardship & Impact, Co-op Brands, and the Leadership team
- Works with stakeholders to define / refine / implement REI’s Asset Management strategy within REI’s asset management systems, tools and workflows.
- Works with stakeholders to define / refine / implement REI’s taxonomy and ontology strategy within REI’s asset management systems including content tagging and appropriate metadata schemas
- Contributes to REI’s legal agreements regarding image acquisition and distribution
- Works with key stakeholders to plan future course of Digital Asset Management programs
- Approves and implements file standards for marketing creative assets
- Works with stakeholders to define / refine / implement file naming conventions and file server structures
- Nurtures interactive relationships with Brand Lab creative teams, cross-divisional partners and clients
- Hires and oversees the training of contract labor
- Prioritizes, manages and assigns digital media asset tasks that are generated across all lines of business
- Works closely with Director to develop annual budget needs based on annual enterprise strategies
- Increases effectiveness and efficiency of partner marketing programs through development and implementation of processes, standards, roles and tools.
- Looks for various solutions to accommodate seasonal workload shifts. Leveraging internal full-time and freelance resources as well external solutions as needed.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 10+ years of experience in production/design direction in an agency or internal creative department
- 8+ years of experience within photography and marketing environments, with a thorough understanding of the Digital Asset Management and Creative/Marketing Technology industry
- 5+ years of experience managing creative production and content services professionals
- Broad understanding of usage rights and the legal applications of digital asset management and photo industry.
- Advanced understanding of metadata applications concerning imagery and video, along with taxonomies, folksonomies and keywording
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to fulfill resource needs.
- Proven ability to find innovative solutions to remedy potential post production issues.
- Ability to forecast and manage resources, training and equipment budgets.
- Excellent problem solving, time management and organizational skills.
- Experience with XML, HTML, CSS, JAVA
- Expert skills in Mac and PC environment; expert in current Adobe Creative Suite including Bridge, Acrobat, and Photoshop; proficient in current digital and prepress technologies; proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can grow
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to the same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer