Senior Manager Financial Planning & Analysis
Posted Date: Oct- 3-2018
Job ID: 11213
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading timely, convincing, relevant, and strategic financial information and services for the co-op. This role leads a team to support divisional leadership through the annual budgeting and strategic planning process with ongoing accurate financial forecasting and analysis of strategic business initiatives. Responsibilities include supporting your team to elevate existing processes and tools in order to meet the needs of future co-op growth. Establishing cross-functional partnership and fostering sound business decisions through fact and financial based information. This role is the day-to-day engagement point for the Senior Leadership of the divisions supported. In addition, this role will be responsible for leading divisional initiatives around enterprise-wide consolidations, reporting, key performance metrics, and profitability analysis to drive better alignment of financials for senior leadership. This position may include advanced enterprise-wide special projects, duties and initiatives as assigned. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Drives and supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Manage divisional FP&A team through development of strategic plans, annual budget, and growth initiatives in collaboration with divisional partners.
- Acts as the financial thought-leader and initiative driver for divisions; divisional financial voice to senior executives.
- Develop and implement new investment and profitability frameworks and metrics.
- Drives accurate and accountable financial forecasts and investment prioritization to track intra-year performance and contribute to the Co-Op’s performance; performs standard and special analyses that provide insightful views into the Division’s operations and financial performance, including identifying finding, evaluating, and reporting on synergy initiatives, as well as, risks and opportunities to the company’s goals and commitments.
- Support budget continuous process and systems improvement efforts.
- Manage the monthly operational review to understand and explain variances, update projections as needed, and communicate findings to the divisional leadership.
- Accountable for monthly reporting.
- Accountable for monthly working plan accuracy.
- Provides leadership and direction through Managers and Analysts.
- Accountable for the performance and results of a strategic financial discipline.
- Develop trusted consulting relationship with divisional leaders
- Business case development and support including post implementation analysis.
- Recognizes and solves complex business problems through financial analyses, such as lease-versus purchase, capital appropriations, or discounted cash flow.
- Decisions are guided by policies, procedures and business plan, receives guidance from DVP.
- Provides technical guidance to employees, colleagues and/or customers.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+ years of financial planning and analysis experience in Accounting/Finance- preferably in a retail industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business, Accounting, or similar
- MBA or similar certification
- Advanced PC experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Essbase, SAP, and/or equivalent planning and ERP systems
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven success executing a corporate-wide budget cycle
- Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze and objectively solve problems using sound judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience interfacing with Board of Directors and senior management professionals.
- Proven capabilities to lead, develop and evolve an organization in an environment with growth, business change and the need to prioritize
- Ability to work well cross-divisionally and to focus on company-wide priorities and objectives
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer