Senior Manager, Sustainability
Posted Date: Sep-28-2018
Job ID: 12017
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Public Affairs
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by advancing the stewardship & impact strategy in support of the co-op, its members, its employees, and the outdoor community. This position helps ensure the nation’s largest retail cooperative is at the forefront of sustainable business practices.
The Sr. Manager, Sustainability engages cross-divisional parters, provides subject matter expertise, and leads major projects with support from the Manager, Sustainability Initiatives. Responsibilities include identifying and implementing leading sustainability commitments for REI’s operations across its stores, distribution centers, headquarters, logistics network, and outdoor experiences business. Areas of focus include energy, water, waste, and greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, the Sr. Manager helps craft the co-op sustainability strategy and key policy perspectives.
The role is based in REI’s Brand Stewardship & Impact team and works closely with business partners across finance, retail operations, visual merchandising, real estate, construction, supply chain, marketing, digital, and outdoor experiences. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Advances the co-op’s sustainability strategy to ensure efforts are impactful, shareable, and coordinated with the business.
- Develops and implements roadmaps for energy, water, waste, and greenhouse gas emissions across REI’s business operations and physical infrastructure.
- Actively engages cross-divisional partners to create shared commitments and strategies.
- Maintains portfolio of energy efficiency opportunities and supports scoping of high ROI capital investments.
- Leads REI’s continued commitment to 100% renewable energy, including power purchase agreements (PPAs), on-site energy generation and storage, tax incentives, and renewable energy credits.
- Measures co-op greenhouse gas emissions and continually advances the scope and accuracy of those measures.
- Informs green building design, construction, and retrofits.
- Contributes to the annual Stewardship Report, including the timely collection of metrics and continual evolution of the report.
- Supports the creation of position statements and policies detailing the co-op’s perspective on social and environmental topics.
- Delivers annual resource, expense, and performance plans in support of sustainability initiatives and investments.
- Identifies process improvements that deliver business value and contribute to sustainability goals.
- Establishes and maintains strong professional relationships with key leaders and guides the development of organizational sustainability commitments.
- Represents REI publicly with stakeholders, and with working groups as a respected voice of the co-op.
- Identifies opportunities to drive scalable impacts through engaging the co-op’s employees and members.
- Maintains organizational focus on initiatives with the potential for disproportionate positive impact.
- Models the co-op’s belief that “a life outdoors is a life well lived”.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Master’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience. MBA or MEM preferred.
- 7+ years’ experience in business sustainability in retail, distribution, manufacturing, or associated industries.
- 2+ years of proven leadership and supervisory experience in a cross functional environment managing people, project timelines, budgets, and reporting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key sustainability topics, including firm grasp of the scientific underpinnings related to energy, water, waste, land use, greenhouse gas emissions, and chemicals management.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively build strong working relationships, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated experience leading energy efficiency investments and transitioning an energy portfolio to renewable energy.
- Familiarity with accounting, financial analysis, and developing business cases.
- Familiarity with environmental lifecycle analysis.
- Experience implementing operational process improvements within a large organizational setting.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with a proven ability to convey information clearly, concisely and in a confident, positive manner.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, obtain results through effective use of resources, and demonstrate attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines, unpredictability and on multiple priorities.
- Communications experience within and on behalf of a large organization.
- Ability to travel to domestic and international locations.
- Demonstrated business analytical and administrative skills including proficiency with Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneDrive, and Tableau.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer