Senior Manager, Visual Merchandising
Posted Date: Feb-14-2020
Job ID: 17085
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading the HQ and Market Visual teams in the strategy, planning, development, communication and execution of visual merchandising design concepts, solutions and implementation plans for products and programs for retail stores. The Sr Manager has an eye and passion for trend & style, and will lead REI’s specialty positioning in the outdoor space through unique and on-brand visual experiences.
This role is instrumental in developing dynamic partnerships with cross-divional leaders in the HQ and the field to execute divisional plans and projects in support of the company strategic direction. Fosters an environment for the Visual Merchandising Team to successfully deliver on REI Organizational, Merchandising, Retail and other XDiv strategies. Drives member retention & acquisition, ensures efficient operations to increase sales and maximize profit while providing extraordinary support to HQ and field business partners.
- Collaborates with DVP and Operations Manager of Visual Merchandising in development of a holistic program vision and approach to visual merchandising solutions to meet REI & Merchandisng strategy and business objectives.
- Collaborates with VM and Experience Design leadership on the development of the annual budget and calendar.
- Responsible for translating REI’s brand messages into the REI store experience. Ensuring all aspects of REI visual merchandising standards are consistent with REI brand and its values.
- Provides direction, leadership, and cross-divisional partnerships through expertise and influence to achieve department, company and customer results. Provides direction and guidance to outside consultants and vendors in order to deliver on department and company objectives.
- Leads and supports department projects and programs that meet stated business objectives, promotes Company identity and enhances the REI experience for the consumer.
- Oversees a team of visual experts in the development of compelling visual merchandising solutions to support business needs through creative problem solving and innovation intended for retail stores.
- Maintains project schedules and timelines associated with the annual calendar and or related projects.
- Communicates visual strategies to cross-functional and cross-divisional partnership related to visual merchandising.
- Responsible for team’s response to field inquiries regarding visual merchandising in an agreed upon specified time frame.
- Creates strong partnerships with field leadership and HQ teams and acts as an advocate for stores, merchants and marketing
- Manages team resources to balance internal workload and to ensure projects are completed on time and within scope
- Attracts, retains, and develops individuals into a high performing and effective team
- Delivers meaningful, timely feedback to direct reports
- Facilitates career paths for employees by providing ongoing coaching and opportunities for developmental assignments
- Provides direction and support to team members, particularly during critical stages of project implementation
- Delivers recognition for successful completion of team and individual objectives
- Create opportunities for cross-training and development of bench-strength within the greater team
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+years proven visual merchandising experience at a corporate level OR in a high-end retail multi-store environment
- 5+ years leadership (including people management)
- Strong awareness of and ability to incorporate current fashion and styling market trends
- Experience with space and fixture planning as it relates to visual merchandising
- Project management skills including measurement, reporting and financial analysis
- Basic Computer Skills: Word, Excel, InDesign, Photoshop and Outlook
- College degree preferred
- Strong understanding of multi-channel marketing and retail environments
- Budget Management experience
- 5+ years Experience with space planning as it relates to visual merchandising
- Flexible in one’s own viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by other’s at REI
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer