Senior Materials Designer, Gear
Posted Date: Apr- 9-2021
Job ID: 19807
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
Your role as a Sr. Materials Designer will require you to carry out all aspects of research, design and development in materials to support the overall product creation process. You’ll be responsible for researching and executing advanced material concept and innovation, and in-season material needs. You’ll work closely with our internal and external partners to ensure our material and sustainability goals are achieved. You’ll be involved in the overall material design process and work as a strategic partner with our designers and product management team to achieve the industry’s leading outdoor products. You will collaborate with partners across REI and overall supply chain to ensure design vision and intent is delivered to REI’s members. You will model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Research advanced material concepts and emerging material trends for gear, outerwear and insulation
- Collaborate with fabric, fiber and chemical suppliers, as well as academic and private research institutions on material innovations
- Research new material suppliers to enhance material innovation opportunity
- Incorporate consumer Insights into advanced material concept and innovation to elevate REI members’ outdoor experience
- Participate in building annual and seasonal material direction
- Lead seasonal material direction for gear and outerwear to achieve end use-based performance requirements and price structure
- Collaborate with Product Design, Product Management, Materials Development, Sustainability and Product Development to create materials that achieve specifics around product functionality, performance, aesthetics and sustainability requirements
- Partner with Design team, Test Engineers and Materials Development team to ensure total material package is suitable for end use
- Integrate sustainability targets into every aspect of materials design and development to achieve Co-op Brands’ sustainability goals
- Work closely with Materials Development team to ensure fabric commercialization process is successful within calendar deadlines
- Create a collaborative and strategic partnership with material development team and overseas operations team to manage mill performance and relationships
- Develop and maintain a materials library with up to date materials, testing history, and inspirational fabrics
- Evaluate the risk associated with all material developments and communicate them to the product teams
- Participate in concept reviews and design reviews to achieve best product oversight.
Bring your passion and expertise
- BS in Textile Design or related field; may be substitute with relevant experience.
- 6+ years’ work experience in textile manufacturing, development, or design.
- Ability to understand market trends and present to both large and small groups.
- Ability to make sense of material trends and apply it to products.
- Comprehensive understanding of the textile manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of appropriate textile testing methods, interpretation and application of results.
- Knowledge of high performance textiles and the functional aspects of gear materials.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines within a product development calendar.
- Working knowledge of global fabric sourcing trends and strategy.
- Knowledge and/or experience in gear design processes from inspiration to production including the technical and manufacturing side of product development.
- Familiar with the management of colour, including lab dips.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Understanding of the big picture and an aptitude for cross function team collaboration.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments and the product in general – always looking out for what is best for our end consumer “it’s all about the product”.
- Innovative thinking and the ability to use sound judgment to resolve problems.
- Willingness to go above and beyond by diving into the details, improving products and processes and helping out whenever necessary.
- Computer proficiency: Word, Excel, PDM system, Illustrator, Textile Design Software, Outlook, etc
- A passion for the outdoors, creating production and living our values.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer