Senior Materials Designer
Posted Date: Jun-11-2019
Job ID: 14641
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
As part of our design team, your role as a Sr. Materials Designer, will requires you to carry out all aspects of research, development and design in materials to support the overall design and development process. You’ll present trend right materials to the team and work closely with our vendors and partners on our Asia team to ensure our material goals are achieved. You’ll be responsible for presenting material trend direction to the design teams, ensuring that our REI fabrics are on target for not just aesthetic purposes, but also meeting our critical performance requirements. You’ll be involved in the overall fabric development process and work as a strategic partner with our designers and brand team to achieve the industry’s leading outdoor products.
- Research and present emerging materials trends into seasonal palettes by attending material shows and meeting regularly with suppliers
- Lead overall fabric direction based on material trend & use while achieving target performance requirements and price
- Collaborate with Design, Brand Management, Materials Production, and Development to create materials that achieve specifics around product functionality, performance, aesthetics
- Partner with Design team and Materials Production to ensure total fabric package is suitable for end use (meets both performance and aesthetic direction)
- Work closely with Materials Commercialization team to ensure fabric commercialization process is successful
- Participate in sample review sessions to achieve best product oversight.
- Manage the materials calendar and process.
- Acquire initial proto yardage and partner with Materials Execution team to ensure sample yardage is executed.
- Create a collaborative and strategic partnership with Materials Production and Execution team to manage mill relationships and fabric expectations
- Manage fabric brief details with design and PLM partners to determine specific fabric direction for each product including performance and aesthetic characteristics
- Integrate sustainability targets into every aspect of materials design and development, including achieving Bluesign goals.
- Oversee coordination and review with Asia materials team to ensure all materials meet REI’s end-use needs and ensure information is documented and available for Materials Production and Execution team within calendar deadlines.
- Review testing with product team to ensure fabric quality meets end use requirement
- Develop and maintain a materials library with up to date materials, testing history, and inspirational fabrics.
- Create and manage tried and true, tested fabrics for the materials library which continue to achieve REI’s goals.
- Continuously build advanced materials expertise and work to create a network of contact within the industry
- Evaluate the risk associated with all material developments and communicate them to the product teams.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Comprehensive understanding of the textile manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of appropriate textile testing methods, interpretation and application of results.
- Knowledge of high performance textiles and the functional aspects of performance apparel.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines within a product development calendar
- Working knowledge of global fabric sourcing trends and strategy
- Knowledge and/or experience in apparel or equipment development processes from inspiration to production including the technical and manufacturing side of product development.
- Familiar with the management of colour, including lab dips
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Understanding of the big picture and an aptitude for cross function team collaboration.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments and the product in general – always looking out for what is best for our end consumer “it’s all about the product”
- Innovative thinking and the ability to use sound judgment to resolve problems.
- Willingness to go above and beyond by diving into the details, improving products and processes and helping out whenever necessary
- Computer proficiency: Word, Excel, PDM system, Illustrator, Textile Design Software, Outlook, etc
- A passion for the outdoors, creating production and living our values
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer