Senior Materials Developer
Posted Date: Jan-28-2019
Job ID: 12996
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
As part of our Materials Production team, your role as a Sr. Materials Developer will require you to carry out various aspects of research, development and commercialization of materials to support the overall development and commercialization process. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that the materials selected can be commercialized by working closely with our mills and factory partners, as well as internal partners to ensure our goals for raw materials are achieved. You’ll be responsible for the business aspects of each fabric selected for REI’s products, ensuring that our REI fabrics are on target for not just aesthetic purposes, but also meeting our critical performance requirements. You will be involved in the overall fabric development, commercialization and production process and work as a strategic partner with our materials design & development team to achieve the industry’s leading outdoor products.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Collaborate with materials design & development team to create materials that achieve specifics around product functionality, performance, aesthetics
- Collaborate with development & tech services team to ensure total product commercialization and production are achieved.
- Partner with internal teams to ensure total fabric package is suitable for end use (meets both performance and aesthetic direction) and that business implications (quality, delivery, price) are acceptable.
- Manage fabric testing, cost, and lead time to ensure fabric commercialization process is successful
- Develop a comprehensive materials commercialization calendar and process.
- Lead and manage the sample yardage process, and partner with development team to ensure execution.
- Create a collaborative and strategic partnership with materials design & development team to manage mill relationships and expectations
- Integrate sustainability goals into every aspect of materials development and execution.
- Oversee coordination and review with internal teams to ensure information is documented and available for team within calendar deadlines.
- Develop and maintain materials libraries available for both China and USA teams, with up-to-date materials and testing history.
- Lead as a strategic partner on new materials developments.
- Evaluate the risk associated with all material developments and communicate these to the product teams.
- Create and maintain fabric records both physically and within our PDM system.
- Fully commercialize fabrics, communicating expectations to the mills, our factory partners, and internally across production teams.
- Source new mill partners as needed and on-board them, communicating our needs and expectations for all processes, from initial development and searches to expectations of bulk production.
- Compare 1st bulk production to approved, commercialized standard to ensure correct implementation and execution of all newly developed fabrics and track carryover fabrics as determined by high-risk process.
Bring your passion and expertise
- BS in Textile or related field; may be substitute with relevant experience
- 6+ years’ work experience in textile manufacturing, development, or design
- Comprehensive understanding of the textile manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of appropriate textile testing methods, interpretation and application of results.
- Knowledge of high performance textiles and the functional aspects of performance apparel.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines within a product development calendar
- Working knowledge of global fabric sourcing trends and strategy
- Knowledge and/or experience in apparel or equipment development processes from inspiration to production including the technical and manufacturing side of product development.
- Familiar with the management of color, including lab dips
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Understanding of the big picture and an aptitude for cross function team collaboration.
- Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments and the product in general – always looking out for what is best for our end consumer “it’s all about the product”
- Innovative thinking and the ability to use sound judgment to resolve problems.
- Willingness to go above and beyond by diving into the details, improving products and processes and helping out whenever necessary.
- Computer proficiency: Word, Excel, PDM system, Illustrator, Textile Design Software, Outlook, etc.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- A passion for the outdoors, creating products and living our values.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of product centric, passionate people who firmly believe that a life outdoors is a life well lived. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work motivated to create amazing gear that enable outdoor experiences for our members.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer