Senior Product Manager, Fitness Apparel
Posted Date: Mar- 2-2021
Job ID: 19377
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Sr. Product Manager contributes to REI’s success by leading seasonal brand and product strategies for assigned activities and categories. Leads execution for REI’s Co-op brands for Fitness Apparel, in support of co-op strategies and business objectives, and aligned with Co-op brands 3-5 year strategic roadmap. The Sr. Product Manager is accountable for assessing and applying market analytics and trends, consumer insights, category assortment needs and brand vision to develop compelling 1-2 year strategies, line plans and product briefs, leading collaboration and alignment across category merchants and Co-op Brands design and operations teams.
This role is the primary point of contact for Co-op brands category level product creation teams and Merch managers ensuring alignment on brand vision and the integrity of seasonal department strategy execution through the design and product development process, with an optimal balance of creative and commercial perspectives, to deliver compelling, cohesive and profitable brand and product experiences. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Supports the implementation of assigned category strategies, programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires others to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of direct reports
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews for direct reports
- Supports Director Product strategy in guiding assigned category teams through run state work of the product creation process
- Establishes and maintains visibility within their assigned departments
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action for assigned departments.
- Leads creation and development of annual brand and product strategies, in support of multi-year roadmap and aligned across categories.
- Leads early and robust collaboration and alignment with Co-op Brands, Merchandising and Marketing partners to ensure cohesive strategy and seamless development and implementation of seasonal plans (right first time).
- Lead point of contact for Co-op Brands Creative Design Directors, ensures alignment on brand vision and the integrity of seasonal strategy execution through the design and product development process, with an optimal balance of creative and commercial perspectives, to deliver compelling, cohesive and profitable brand and product experiences.
- Leads product development process and timely execution of seasonal lines, from concept to buy ready; ensures transparency and alignment across functions; owns and manages path of escalation and effective resolution; leads weekly team/leadership brand meetings to drive accountability and results.
- Supports and influences Director of Product Strategy with development of multi-year brand and product roadmaps to deliver on private brands vision and co-op business objectives.
- Proactively partners with Product Strategy and Merchandising peers to align category opportunities with brand vision and synergies; effectively and influentially communicates their vision.
- Operates with a high degree of autonomy and initiative; displays leadership by owning dialogue and insights to develop seasonal strategies beyond the scope of their specific product categories.
- With Director of Product Strategy, and in collaboration with Category Merchandising Managers, Merchandising Planning, Private Brands Design and Operations:
- Evaluates and leverages competitive market intelligence and consumer insights data to develop seasonal strategies for assigned brands and categories;
- develops seasonal line plans and product briefs, aligned with brand vision, category assortment parameters and business objectives;
- guides concept development with Design and ensures integrity of line plans and product briefs through design, product development and production processes;
- ensures assortments meet margin targets;
- identifies and champions seasonal product stories and key item planning;
- supports development and execution of financial (sales and margin) plans.
- Continually monitors and reports on market conditions and sales trends to ensure seasonal strategies remain relevant, or takes corrective forward action.
- In collaboration with Retail Operations, Marketing and Public Affairs, develops and executes strategies to drive retail brand/product training and engagement.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Experience working in fitness apparel product line management and the Merchandising Planning Processes (Assortment, Financial, and Inventory Management) – 7+ Years
- 3+ years people management / supervisory experience
- Demonstrated business planning ability
- Strong leadership, communication and analytical skills
- Good aesthetic judgment
- Experience in building brands and maintaining brand consistency
- Ability to work collaboratively across functional areas and divisions
- Ability to lead and inspire a team toward a common goal
- Ability to create new thinking and ideas pertaining to new products and profitability
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Effectively plans and executes changes
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer