Senior Public Relations Associate
Posted Date: Apr- 4-2019
Job ID: 13956
Job Function: Public Affairs
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
Join REI’s dynamic Experiences division to help members live a life outdoors and welcome others into the outdoor community. The Experiences earned media team plays an important role in raising awareness of and participation in the co-op’s broad portfolio of experiences that awaken a lifelong love of the outdoors. You’ll lend your expertise in storytelling and media relations on behalf of headquarters and field-based teams for day programming, adventure travel and more.
This job contributes to REI’s success by serving as a storyteller, media relations expert and communications consultant. You will be a company spokesperson for the co-op’s Do-It-Yourself (DIY), day and multiday portfolios as well as direct the work of external agencies and freelancers. Success results in internal client satisfaction, impactful storytelling, high impact publicity, and increased awareness of/participation in REI experiences. The ideal candidate will have a background in travel, lifestyle and business media relations and familiarity with trends in adventure travel and outdoor activities.
You have a firm understanding of the traditional and social media landscape; strong writing skills for a variety of audiences; background in analysis and reporting tools; knowledge of REI’s services and experiences; keen ability to identify story opportunities and tailor pitches for local, regional and national media outlets; track record of strategic planning and implementation against a company’s growth goals and priorities; and demonstrated success in working collaboratively and under deadlines. In addition to the Experiences division, you will partner with REI’s public affairs, marketing and other divisions, and external stakeholders and partners. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s core values and mission.
- 5+ years of experience in public relations, with an emphasis on media relations, campaigns, and product launches.
- Collaborates on the development of the annual strategic communications plans; designs and executes plans for launches for DIY, day and multiday experiences.
- Creates materials that are authentic to the co-op voice and brand. Output includes press releases, talking points, templates, media statements, briefing books, employee-facing content, social media language, blogs, etc. In addition to national announcements, develops tools to support regional teams. Familiarity with Associated Press (AP) style.
- Proactive and reactive media relations with local and national outlets; hosts media trips and experiences.
- Maintains and develops productive relationships with reporters at national and regional outdoor, lifestyle and vertical media outlets.
- Serves as a company spokesperson and prepares company spokespeople for working with the media. Includes formal media training, developing talking points, collaborating on communications strategies, and providing counsel to internal stakeholders.
- Directs the workload of external agency and freelancers.
- Initiates new ideas and events to build brand awareness of and participation in REI experiences.
- Creates monthly, quarterly and annual reports; correlates metrics to plans, provides analysis and makes recommendations for adjustment for improved success.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on social and new media opportunities.
- Stays on top of industry and lifestyle trends.
- Monitors and provides counsel in issues management; coordinates escalated customer/member communications, engages directly with members and guides social media team on issues relating to REI experiences.
- Represents department in cross divisional campaign planning with Marketing, Brand Stewardship and Impact, Digital and others.
- Proven exceptional communication skills in all forms. Ability to produce high quality communication counsel and clear, concise, and on-brand materials under deadline pressures.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years of experience in the public relations arena, with an emphasis on media relations, campaigns, and product launches
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations/public affairs, communications or journalism or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated understanding of public relations principles/practices and professional ethics in a corporate or agency setting
- Proven success in developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating strategic, creative and results-oriented public relations programs
- Proven success in identifying and fostering strong relationships with key local and national media outlets
- Strong working knowledge of news media operations, and ability to provide effective media relations training and counsel
- Broad understanding of media reporting and analysis tools, media databases
- Demonstrated understanding of issues management and audience engagement on behalf of a company
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- Operates with an interest to always learn and develop self and to become a stronger professional
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer