Senior Software Engineer - Customer Platforms
Posted Date: Jun-15-2021
Job ID: 20360
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our Customer Platform team as a backend Senior Software Engineer. This team is uniquely positioned to have a significant impact at REI by enabling the capabilities that help us understand and engage customers and members. The Customer Platforms team delivers the data and services that enable the customer experience and interacts with many teams across digital and retail technology. We are looking to grow the team and evolve the capabilities in this space to deliver value to REI and our customers. We invite you to join us on our journey. Bring your passion, curiosity and respect for your fellow humans and join a talented team focused on making our Customer Technology best in class.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Excel at work in an agile, highly collaborative environment, have a passion for understanding internal customer needs, and be eager to build/enhance customer data services and applications
- Skilled Java Back End engineer with experience delivering solutions leveraging commercially available technology solutions as well as in house implementations
- Analyzes, designs, develops, and implements applications systems and services, working on moderately complex to highly complex efforts with many integration dependencies.
- Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current development and project management methodologies and practices.
- Works collaboratively with a product manager and an engineering team that includes other engineers, architects, principal business analysts.
- May lead meetings to define requirements and technical solutions. Manages tasks, estimates effort, establishes timelines and prioritizes work.
- Provides technical assistance and problem resolution for assigned systems. Leads resolution of production support problems in accordance with problem management policies and procedures. Coordinates with vendors for problem resolution and change requests.
- Prepares required technical and operational readiness documentation.
- Supports code reviews within and across teams.
- Consults with Quality Assurance and business analysts in the development and execution of test plans.
- Ensures that application changes follow change management policies and procedures.
- Identifies and provides recommendations for system process improvements.
- Act as a source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff.
Bring your passion and expertise
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Java backend engineer with extensive experience in the following:
- Spring MVC, Spring Boot, Spring Framework
- REST APIs
- Relational Databases and SQL such as Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, No SQL DB such as Mongo DB
- JMS and Kafka messaging and Hibernate (or other JPA) experience
- Experience with unit testing such as JUnit, performance and automation testing
- Microservices experience in a CI/CD environment, using tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with Open-Source concepts and tools like Prometheus, Grafana, ELK and knowledge of APM fundamentals or experience in tools like New Relic
- Experience in systems design including High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Performance, Efficiency and Security application and dashboarding
- Experience in distributed compute concepts such as Microservice architectures, API schemas and Event streaming
- Desired experience with AWS technologies such as SQS, SNS, S3, ECS, RDS
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- 5+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications.
- Ability to apply complex principles, theories and concepts of the technical discipline and provide solutions to a wide range of complex tasks, projects and problems
- Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Experience creating and executing implementation and operational readiness strategies for complex systems.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company preferred.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer