Senior Software Engineer - Front End
Posted Date: Mar-19-2019
Job ID: 13712
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
At REI our core mission is to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship. Contribute to REI’s success in inspiring and educating by helping people discover and participate in REI Experiences by building the software that powers our Outdoor Programs and Adventures systems! We are looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to design, develop and implement the next generation of features and functionality for these portions of REI’s website. You will get to work on a variety of projects with varying levels of complexity including: new site enhancements, application development, new technologies, coding for accessibility, performance optimization, and incident response. You'll collaborate in a dynamic environment with REI’s Interaction Designers, Information Architects, and various Software Engineers to create interactive features that deliver exceptional customer experiences. You will have the flexibility to grow your skills and explore new technical challenges on the journey towards making REI’s digital experience world-class.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Experience using CSS preprocessors and an ability to discuss their strengths and weaknesses (we use Less)
- Cross-browser and cross-platform design and testing experience
- Experience with AJAX techniques, as well JSON and XML to consume back end experience for complex web apps
- Experience integrating tracking and other analytics tags
- Experience working on large websites, with many interconnected systems
- Ability to participate in on-call 24x7 incident response (rotation about 1 week per 10)
- Four-year degree in related field or equivalent work experience preferred
- 2+ years’ experience using agile development methodologies preferred
- Experience working in an e-commerce retail/hospitality environment preferred
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Contribute to a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer