Front-End Developers at REI contribute to the Co-op’s success by developing new features and
functionality for our digital touch points. Senior FEDs are experienced in transforming the vision of REI’s Interaction Designers, Information Architects, and various Software Engineers into interactive features that deliver exceptional experiences for our customers.
A Senior FED will be accountable for significant parts of REI’s digital ecosystem. This includes new site enhancements, application development, mobile web development, coding for accessibility, search engine optimization, performance optimization, pattern library development and incident response.
• 5+ years in web application development, including experience working in enterprise
applications with many interconnected systems.
• 2+ years Agile development experience.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software
development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management,
build processes, testing, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks among team members and drive small projects or
• 4+ years’ experience in hand coding, proofing and troubleshooting standards-compliant HTML5,
(currently we use Vue.js, NPM, Node.js, WebPack, Rollup, Mocha, Chai, to name a few)
• Experience using CSS preprocessors and an ability to discuss their strengths and weaknesses (we
use Less and Sass)
• Cross-browser and cross-platform design and testing experience in manual debugging and
automated tooling (we use Babel for cross-browser transpilation)
• Experience with AJAX/ES6 Fetch techniques, as well JSON and XML to consume back end
experience for complex web apps
• Experience with version control via git
• Communicates effectively in both verbal and written means.
• Experience working on large websites, with many interconnected systems
• Experience integrating tracking and other analytics tags
• Experience working with web content management systems
• Knowledge of backend systems like Java, JSP, Spring, Docker