Senior Software Engineer - Java
Posted Date: Apr-10-2019
Job ID: 13911
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
At REI we help our more than 5.5 million members have amazing outdoor experiences. It’s an exciting time as we’re rapidly changing to better meet our customer’s needs. This Senior Software Engineer position is a highly technical senior role with accountability for software development scoped to business-transformative projects and is involved with projects from inception through implementation. It is a critical role in REI in the retail and payments domain and part of REI’s Software Engineering community.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications systems, working on moderately complex to highly complex work tasks or project assignments
- Gathers, analyzes and translates business and non-functional requirements into a solution design. May lead meetings to define business requirements and technical solutions. Executes tasks, estimates resources, establishes timelines and prioritizes work
- Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current development and project management methodologies and practices
- Manages work assignments according to current project methodologies or as directed.
- Prepares required documentation for the portion of work assigned
- Consults with Quality Assurance and Business Analysts in the development and execution of test plans
- Provides technical assistance and problem resolution for assigned systems. Leads resolution of production support problems in accordance with problem management policies and procedures. Leads resolution of production support incidents in accordance with incident management policies and procedures. Coordinates with vendors for problem resolution and change requests
- Ensures that applications changes follow change management policies and procedures
- Provides technical guidance to ensure that installed systems are working effectively and that proposed systems will meet organization’s future needs
- Identifies and provides recommendations for system process improvements
- Ensures smooth implementation of new technologies and vendor integrations by using their expertise on their assigned domains and interfaces
- May act as a source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology, or in a related technical field or equivalent technology experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressively responsible, post-baccalaureate work experience designing, developing, and implementing computer software projects in a web services-based environment utilizing open source services framework
- 5-10 years’ experience in OO design patterns and coding best practices – mainly in Java development (Windows, Unix, Linux and MAC)
- Experienced in developing object-oriented development frameworks within Agile/Scrum, and waterfall environments
- Develops code, techniques and processes that interfaces with middleware, including: ETL, ESB, Web Services, SOAP, and XML
- Proven expertise of networking concepts/protocols –TCP/IP, HTTP, SMTP, etc.
- 5-10 years’ experience writing SQL in one or more of the following: MS SQL, T-SQL, MySQL
- 4+ years data base design / development experience in RDBMS platforms (SQL Server, Oracle), experience with NoSQL DB design/development preferred
- Experience in ETL transformations, Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) Technology is a plus
- Experience & working knowledge in AWS Services (AWS Docker ECS, AWS Application load balancer, S3) is a plus
- Experience with logging and monitoring tools like Dynatrace, New Relic, Grafana & Splunk etc.
- Experience with Retail systems is highly desired
- Excellent presentation, verbal, written, interpersonal and listening skills
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer