Senior Software Engineer- Rentals
Posted Date: Aug-22-2019
Job ID: 15215
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
REI is looking to expand our Rentals product offering in our stores and on REI.com with improved technology and capabilities. This will help more REI members and customers enjoy a life in the outdoors. This role presents an opportunity to join the newly formed REI Rentals program. This team is working to implement minimum viable products quickly, learn from data and business insights, and continue to iterate and adapt the solution to meet customer needs. An entrepreneurial mindset and ability to quickly adapt to customer and business feedback are crucial for this role. Experience working with both customer-facing systems as well as retail backend systems are invaluable.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications systems, working on moderately complex to highly complex work tasks or project assignments
- Gathers, analyzes and translates business and non-functional requirements into a solution design. May lead meetings to define business requirements and technical solutions. Manages tasks, estimates resources, establishes timelines and prioritizes work
- Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current development and project management methodologies and practices
- Coaches Junior Software Engineers and onboards other new Software Engineers.
- Prepares required documentation for the portion of work assigned
- Consults with Quality Assurance and business analysts in the development and execution of test plans
- Provides technical assistance and problem resolution for assigned systems. Leads resolution of production support incidents in accordance with incident management policies and procedures, including participation in On Call Support. Coordinates with vendors for problem resolution and change requests
- Provides technical guidance to ensure that systems are working effectively and that proposed systems will meet organization’s future needs
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience
- 5+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications
- Ability to apply complex principles, theories and concepts of the technical discipline and provide solutions to a wide range of complex tasks, projects and problems
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with systems, processes and development, or technical disciplines in a specific field
- Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously
- In-depth knowledge of line of technical solutions for line of business supported
- Experience creating and executing implementation strategies for complex systems
- Ability in all phases of technical writing for information or infrastructure systems
- Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer