Senior Sustainability Analyst
Posted Date: Nov- 4-2019
Job ID: 16175
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Public Affairs
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by guiding the implementation of key components of REI’s Product and Supply Chain sustainability program. Sustainability is a priority for REI, and the products we sell are an embodiment of the co-op’s ethos. REI’s Product and Supply Chain sustainability program spans environmental management, fair labor, animal welfare, and elements of regulatory compliance. This role will support REI in continually creating, implementing, and monitoring expectations for international and domestic factories manufacturing materials and products sold by REI. In addition, this role will provide support to REI’s product teams – including REI’s Co-op Brands and Merchandising – in creating and assorting more sustainable products. This will involve highly collaborative engagement with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops and manages the supply chain traceability program for REI’s private brands, including formalizing processes for managing social and environmental metrics and certifications.
- Generates product, brand, and supply chain sustainability reporting and metrics on an ongoing basis.
- Emphasis will be placed on carbon accounting, including measuring REI’s current state and tracking progress toward future goals and targets.
- Serves as the primary liaison at REI’s headquarters to REI’s Global Head of Supplier Sustainability and Supply Chain Sustainability team.
- Engages with manufacturing partners in the Americas for the execution of REI’s Fair Labor program, including supporting with general onboarding, and implementation and analysis of the Higg Facility Environment Module (FEM) and Social Labor Convergence Project (SLCP) framework.
- Serves as REI’s “superuser” for the Fair Factories Clearinghouse (FFC) platform.
- Supports the Sustainable Materials & Innovations Program Manager in engaging the Co-op Brands product teams in integrating sustainability into the product creation process.
- Supports REI’s implementation of the Fair Trade USA program across various Co-op Brands product lines.
- Provides periodic training to counterparts across the co-op, including Co-op Brands and Merchandising.
- Contributes to the strategic direction of the Product and Supply Chain Sustainability team, including supporting the development and implementation of REI’s climate strategy.
- Provides support in developing and implementing packaging sustainability initiatives for Co-op Brands products.
- Supports the Product Sustainability team in implementing key sustainability initiatives, including work with Co-op Brands, Merchandising, Marketing, BSI, and other teams.
- Provides organizational support to the Sustainability team, including maintenance of team SharePoint site, management of generic communications channels, and other team systems and processes.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Education in Environment, Occupational Health & Safety, Supply Chain Management, Sustainability or related field – Advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of professional experience in supply chain management.
- Experience establishing and operating supply chain traceability programs, including systems for tracking and managing data across supply chain tiers.
- Knowledge of leading international supply chain sustainability organizations.
- Knowledge of environmental life cycle assessment (LCA) methods and environmental product ratings.
- Experience contributing to external multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Experience developing documents and presentations for external distribution.
- Knowledge of materials science and green chemistry.
- Has traveled internationally for business.
- Knowledge of environmental product regulations, particularly CPSIA and Prop 65.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Ability to communicate diplomatically in cross-cultural situations.
- Operates with a high degree of independence and accountability.
- Produces deliverables promptly and proactively anticipates future needs.
- Proven ability to identify, analyze and objectively problem-solve with prompt and meticulous follow-through.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works effectively by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with various stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change, and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer