Senior User Experience Designer, Design Systems
Posted Date: Dec-28-2018
Job ID: 12700
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
Here at REI, we believe that a life outdoors is a life well lived. We’re looking for a Senior User Experience Designer, Design Systems who will empower our Digital Experience Team to create human-centered designs that inspire our users to get outside.
In this role you will contribute to an improved user experience on REI websites and mobile apps by leading the execution of our design system, Cedar. You will utilize user experience research, UX best practices, brand guidelines and accessibility considerations to create cohesive design system component designs and documentation. You will drive improvements to the system as a member of a cross-functional team of editors, UX and UI designers and engineers to grow REI’s competitive advantage as a leading retailer of quality outdoor gear and clothing.
Our ideal candidate has a background in user-centered design, is a keen evangelist for best-in-class user experiences, and has a proven ability to lead user experience work in a collaborative environment.
- Leads ongoing design system component creation and iteration from discovery, design, documentation and hand off to engineering
- Uses user experience best practices, and competitive analysis to design appropriate UI components for maximum usability and customer satisfaction
- Leads updates and refinements to the design system visual language including color, typography, spacing and iconography
- Works on more complex components to ensure work across multiple streams fits brand guidelines and provides a consistent user experience
- Works with Cedar engineers to ensure interaction and visual design quality in new components and the ongoing refinement of existing components
- Leads design system tooling set and workflow, adapting to updates with existing software Sketch, new version control tools like Abstract and leading future tool explorations
- Maintains and updates to the Sketch-based design system UI toolkit
- Supports other user experience designers through design system onboarding, usage and contribution back to the system
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years in user experience, design systems, or closely-related fields.
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods, trends and techniques
- 3+ years experience in Sketch including advanced skill with web typography, color theory and grid systems
- Strong knowledge of UX deliverables such as site maps, wireframes, flow charts personas, functional specifications, and style guides
- Strong knowledge of UI deliverables such as interaction design, prototyping, responsive web and native app design
- Previous design experience with smartphones and tablets preferred
- Previous experience working via agile methodologies preferred
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams to promote open communication and teamwork
Why you'll love it here
The REI Co-op is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 17 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. Since its founding in 1938, REI has worked to awaken a lifelong love for the outdoors, for all, through sustainable growth and reinvestment into the communities it serves. In 2017, nearly 70 percent of its profits went right back to the outdoor community, supporting employee retirement, helping fund trail work, returning dividends to its members and supporting nonprofits that get people into the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer