Senior User Interface Designer
Posted Date: Dec-28-2018
Job ID: 12700
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Senior User Interface Designer, Design Systems role contributes to an improved customer experience on www.rei.com and mobile apps by leading the execution and furthering the development of REI's user interface design through our design system, Cedar. The candidate excels at utilizing user experience research, best practices, brand guidelines and accessibility considerations for cohesive design system component design and documentation. You will drive design system improvements in as a member of a collaborative cross-functional team consisting of system editors, UX and UI designers, engineers and program managers.
- Leads ongoing design system component creation and iteration including discovery, design, documentation and handoff to engineering
- Leads updates and refinements to the design system visual language including color, typography, spacing and iconography
- Helps with quality assurance tasks working with Cedar engineers to ensure interaction and visual design quality in new components and the ongoing refinement of existing components
- Supports design token maintenance which will allow sharing our design language with third parties teams
- Leads design system tooling set and workflow. Adapting to updates with existing software Sketch, new version management tools like Abstract and leading future tool explorations
- Maintains and updates to the Sketch-based design system UI toolkit.
- Supports user experience designers through design system onboarding, usage and contribution back to the system.
- Supports design system template and UX pattern creation and maintenance
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years in user interface design, design systems, or closely-related fields.
- Deep understanding of user interface design methods, trends and techniques
- 3+ years experience in Sketch including advanced skill with web typography, color theory and grid systems
- Strong knowledge of UI deliverables such as interaction design, prototyping, responsive web and native app design
- Strong knowledge of related UX disciplines such as site maps, wireframes and flow charts
- Previous design experience with smartphones and tablets preferred
- Previous experience working via agile methodologies preferred
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams to promote open communication and teamwork
Why you'll love it here
The REI Co-op is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 17 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. Since its founding in 1938, REI has worked to awaken a lifelong love for the outdoors, for all, through sustainable growth and reinvestment into the communities it serves. In 2017, nearly 70 percent of its profits went right back to the outdoor community, supporting employee retirement, helping fund trail work, returning dividends to its members and supporting nonprofits that get people into the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer