Posted Date: Sep- 3-2019
Job ID: 15290
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by planning for long-range application systems development needs, and in defining required hardware, software and infrastructure to support new and existing systems. In partnership with the Domain Architects, Business Analysts and Application/System owners, this role is able to develop coherent detailed architecture models for the business and/or IT solution, and will have deep understanding of the relevant business processes and technology practices in order to facilitate and coordinate a successful delivery of the transformational solution. The Solution Architect works with the Domain Architects to ensure integration of business divisional systems planning with company-wide strategic initiative planning.
- For divisional area of accountability, responsible for maintaining the quality of the solution and assuring that the solution meets the owner requirements.
- Lead, design, and document the solution architecture required to support project deliverables.
- Document non-functional technical requirements (deployment, performance, recoverability, release management, capacity, monitoring).
- Determine and document the architectural decisions that constrain the design and implementation of a solution, such as selection of technology, design and delivery methodology, and programming language.
- Provide direction to the technical team during the development and delivery of the solution.
- Ensure the solution fits with the enterprise architecture principles and guidelines.
- Verify the content developed by the technical team during the development phase is compliant with the proposed solution architecture.
- Validate and approve the deliverables from the technical team during the development phase.
- Resolve issues related to the solution architecture; recommend alternative solutions and corrective actions.
- Settle questions concerning the content and integrity of systems.
- Participate in the development of system assurance and user acceptance testing plans.
- Participate in project planning and schedule development.
- Partner with Project Manager (PM) and Business Analyst (BA) in identifying project issues and risks, establishing contingency plans, and identifying triggering events for mitigating action.
- Partner with BAs to develop Key Project Initial Assessments (KPIA), Initial Business Cases (IBC), and Business Cases (BC) for new solutions.
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of software product standards, as well as the design of standard software configurations.
- Collaborate with Domain Architects to develop the technology “roadmap” (Business Initiative Roadmap) for the assigned business, and to plan the transition from the current architectural framework to the target architecture of the future. Ensures that business-level planning integrates with corporate strategic roadmap.
- Collaborate with Domain Architects, Business analysts, and other divisional Solution Architects on a wide range of technology projects, including software development, package installation and infrastructure upgrades and changes that may have impact across several technical areas including: processes, software, data, network and systems.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience
- 5+ years systems architecture experience with large-scale, databases and applications
- In-depth knowledge of line of technical solutions for retail and commerce
- Experience in implementing headless commerce architecture for a retailer
- Experience with commerce and retail integration with any order management solution. Sterling preferred
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Knowledge of all components in a solution architecture
- Ability to translate business needs into solution architecture requirements
- Ability to estimate the financial impact of solution architecture alternatives
- Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems
- Basic knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies
- Understanding of SOA, micro-services, object-oriented analysis and design, and/or client/server systems
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Collaborate effectively across teams to build strong relationships
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
- Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer