Sr Data Privacy Analyst - Bellevue
Posted Date: Aug-21-2018
Job ID: 11477
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Legal
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by identifying, assessing, and working to reduce privacy risks to the Co-op as part of a comprehensive and growing Privacy Program. You will be called on to create, refine, communicate, and implement privacy policies, standards, and procedures, representing the Privacy Program throughout the organization. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission, including maintaining a trusted and authentic relationship with our members and customers.
- Review and assess privacy risks to the Co-op related to member, customer, employee, and other personal data via project-based privacy risk/privacy impact assessments.
- Develop and maintain appropriate and concise documentation to record privacy risk assessments, findings, and recommendations.
- Appropriately configure, manage, and maintain a governance, risk, and compliance technology or system of record to track privacy risks in coordination with other internal stakeholders.
- Update and maintain an accurate data inventory and record of all personal data processing activities.
- Collaborate and consult with business owners and technologists to identify, develop, implement, and test privacy controls to ensure effective reduction of privacy risks to the Co-op.
- Stay informed about state, federal, and international privacy laws and regulatory regimes, including trends in enforcement and implementation, translating external requirements into actionable insights for REI’s business.
- Provide guidance, education, training and information resources to all relevant stakeholders, increasing awareness of privacy and privacy best practices throughout the Co-op.
- Collaborate effectively with a diverse range of internal partners and stakeholders to further the goals of the privacy program, maintaining a business mindset while furthering the goals of the Privacy Program.
- Engage and maintain a network of privacy advocates throughout the business who are educated and passionate about integrating privacy and Privacy by Design principles into the Co-op’s business activities.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Advanced degree or 4+ years post graduate work experience in relevant field
- 3+ years work experience in privacy, in-house or regulatory agency strongly preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to communicate clearly and concisely with a variety of internal audiences
- Advanced knowledge of privacy risk management methodologies, including privacy risk or privacy impact assessments, product counseling, or other privacy risk and compliance approaches.
- Demonstrated interest in privacy and data protection.
- Current IAPP certification (CIPP/US or CIPT preferred).
- Thorough understanding of privacy laws, regulations, self-regulatory regimes, and industry best practices, including current and future trends.
- Working knowledge of relevant privacy industry organizations and resources.
- Experience with or knowledge of the retail industry.
- Experience within a digital-forward, innovative environment.
- Experience reviewing legal language related to privacy in B2B and B2C contexts.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer