Sr. Software Engineer
Posted Date: Sep-12-2018
Job ID: 11901
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
What's cool about this job
Adventure Projects is a small team within REI that builds sites and apps for rock climbers, mountain bikers, hikers, trail runners and skiers. We’re passionate about getting outside and using the tools we build to help guide our adventures, which can start right out the office door in Boulder, CO.
Beyond making great products, at Adventure Projects you will:
- Work for a company that stands for the outdoors and donates millions of dollars a year to the places and organizations you love.
- Enjoy the fun parts of a startup with the job security and benefits of an established company.
- Get to build features you dreamed up while out on the trail.
- Execute on our mission of building products whose primary goal is to get people outside and enjoying the outdoors.
Our small engineering team handles everything from infrastructure to web development to mobile apps. We’re self-motivated and excited about the opportunities and challenges that come with working on a small team. We build and iterate quickly, push code multiple times a day, have a lot of input into our products, and are responsible for every piece of the stack from servers to front-end code.
You enjoy working on all pieces of the stack, are an enthusiastic learner, and have a good ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently. You’re excited about our products and have had experience building robust products for an engaged and passionate customer base.
In addition to building the Adventure Projects properties, we also collaborate with teams at REI to build products on the REI stack. We’re looking for someone who has experience with at least some of the tools we use in either environment:
- Adventure Projects stack: PHP with Laravel, jQuery / Vue, Bootstrap, AWS
- REI stack: Java with Spring Boot, Vue, Jenkins
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- 5+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications.
- Ability to apply complex principles, theories and concepts of the technical discipline and provide solutions to a wide range of complex tasks, projects and problems.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with systems, processes and development, or technical disciplines in a specific field.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- In-depth knowledge of line of technical solutions for line of business supported.
- Experience creating and executing implementation strategies for complex systems.
- Ability in all phases of technical writing for information or infrastructure systems.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6.5 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer