Posted Date: Sep- 6-2018
Job ID: 11920
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by reviewing, balancing, and posting corporate financial data to the general ledger in an accurate and timely manner. General responsibilities include: Perform month-end closing activities and account reconciliations, preparing monthly standard journal entries, cross divisional collaboration to research general accounting questions, maintaining balance sheet schedules, analyzing general ledger account balances to determine accuracy and completeness of entries, report generation and review, data organization and management, and researching and posting account corrections in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal account definitions. This position must have an excellent understanding of the technical and financial implications of the associated processes and can identify and resolve problems independently. Organization, attention to detail, and communication are critical to the success of this role. The ideal candidate will initiate, develop, and implement process improvements as well as model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Reviews, balances, and posts corporate financial data from multiple systems into the general ledger. • Performs month-end closing activities and account reconciliations
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts; identifies and resolves discrepant items.
- Works cross-divisionally to research questions about financial information and posts correcting entries in accordance with GAAP and internal account definitions.
- Processes internal orders for business partners.
- Prepares supporting documentation for balance sheet accounts as well as journal entries.
- Identifies issues and brings inconsistencies and problems to the attention of management. Participates in developing and implementing solutions.
- Generates custom and ad hoc reports as requested by management.
- Oversees the organization and management of data retention.
- Serves as backup support to other team members.
- Maintains awareness of all activities and issues that could impact daily operations and service levels.
- Participates in ad hoc projects and assignments as needed.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 2+ years accounting or bookkeeping experience
- In the process of obtaining CPA license
- Thorough understanding of multiple financial systems
- Experience analyzing informational data in an ERP system
- SAP experience
- Advanced Excel skills required
- Demonstrates firm understanding of how to apply GAAP to general ledger accounting
- Consistently demonstrates analytical and problem solving skills
- Collaborative work style
- Ability to consolidate information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Ability to work independently and balance multiple projects and processes simultaneously
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
Why you'll love it here
Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer