Staff Internal Auditor
Posted Date: Sep-18-2018
Job ID: 12034
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by bringing a systematic disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of REI’s risk management, control, and governance processes and to help REI accomplish its organizational objectives. The Staff Internal Auditor will assist in all phases of an audit including planning, fieldwork, reporting and follow up. The selected candidate will participate in the development of the risk-based internal audit plan and will provide coaching and guidance to business partners on governance, risk and controls. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Provide value add and objective consultation on governance, risk, and control related topics.
- Assist in developing audit plans, programs and specific tests to evaluate control areas as well as execute on audit engagements in a timely manner and in a collaborative working style.
- Review transactions, documents, records, reports, and procedures and prepare prescribed audit workpapers recording and summarizing the data on assigned audits.
- Research policies & procedures, create process flow charts, document process objectives, risks, & controls.
- Analyze findings and test results and arrive at sound fact-based conclusions and appropriate recommendations for problem areas noted.
- Contribute to the preparation of audit reports that will be presented to senior and mid management in the business.
- Ensure that findings are validated and effectively communicated, tracked and followed up on.
- Maintain and positively influence key relationships with various departmental managers and corresponding teams.
- Identify best practices which can be leveraged and implemented across the company.
- Represent internal audit in a professional manner and maintain good working knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Participate in co-op–wide risk assessment and other special projects as requested by IA management
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or equivalent
- 2+ years internal audit and/or risk management consulting experience
- Relevant certification (CPA, CIA®, CISA)
- Prior experience in the retail/ consumer business industry
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of internal audit, risk management and compliance standards and frameworks
- Strong understanding of financial, operational and technology processes and application systems
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to learn quickly, to be accurate and timely in completing responsibilities with strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Windows, Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Visio and SharePoint preferred.
- High degree of initiative, dependability and ability to work with little supervision.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change. Limited travel required (10%)
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer