Supervisor, Adventure Travel Program Coordinators
Posted Date: Aug-29-2019
Job ID: 14121
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Travel & Adventure
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
In this role, you will contribute to REI’s success by supporting and leading the Program Coordinator team responsible for ensuring excellence in ongoing day-to-day trip operations. You will ensure all Program Coordinator responsibilities and job functions are fulfilled and that business objectives met as a result. Communicates operating procedures and performance expectations to staff and oversees individual contributors’ work toward goals. The Program Coordinator Supervisor is responsible for driving process improvement, optimizing operating procedures for vendor communications, overseeing the coordination of private departures and special requests, and coordinating the resolution of customer service issues using high-level conflict resolution and negotiation skills. As a leader in the department, you will provide coaching and mentoring to all members of the team. You will also be responsible for performance management of an industry leading team including hiring, training, coaching, team building, evaluation and, if necessary, termination of staff. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Supervises Program Coordinator Team
- Oversee all job functions assigned to the Program Coordinator role, including program operations, quality assurance, customer service/sales support, and miscellaneous project support, including Top Guide event planning.
- Continually update documented standard operating procedures and provide training to ensure consistency.
- Continually enhance the quality of our programs and service to customers.
- Plan, schedule, and chair team meetings on a regular basis.
- Contribute to department training including program expertise/product knowledge and operational process.
Employee Development and Staffing
- Recruit, hire, train, coach, develop, review and terminate employees as needed.
- Conduct and ensure the completion of regularly scheduled performance evaluations.
- Consult with Regional Program Managers on allocation of PC resources.
- Ensure staffing schedule meets department goals and needs.
- Communicate and reinforce REI policy and procedures to team members.
- Ensure our Program Coordinator team is high-functioning and demonstrates the qualities of highly effective teams.
- Provide coaching, direction and leadership support to all employees in order to achieve department goals.
- Serve as back-up to other department supervisors as needed.
- Demonstrate proficiency with our reservation system.
- Respond quickly, effectively, and appropriately to the volatility of the adventure travel industry.
- Offer innovative ideas and solutions to issues that affect our business with an eye to boosting overall revenue, minimizing trip cancellations, and providing the highest level of service in the industry.
- Contribute to the success of the business by managing projects in a lead role when appropriate.
- Establish aggressive and attainable timelines for completion, keeping stakeholders informed throughout.
- “On-call” responsibilities handling REI Adventure’s emergency phone when scheduled.
- Responds appropriately to urgent customer and field partner questions, issues, and situations.
- Serve as the primary decision maker during “on-call” schedules. Escalate urgent issues to Adventures leadership.
Bring your passion and expertise
- BA in Business, Tourism, Recreation Management or equivalent
- 3 plus years supervisory experience
- Experience in the adventure travel, wholesale travel, tourism, or outdoor education industry preferred.
- Proven ability to set goals, define tasks and organize resources.
- Proven decision-making skills: the ability to effectively identify, analyze, develop solutions and execute on business problems.
- Proven expense and payroll management ability
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong identification with REI Customer service philosophy, ability to effectively resolve difficult customer issues.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer