Supervisor, IT Service Desk
Posted Date: Aug-13-2020
Job ID: 17981
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Greater Seattle Area
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by supervising a team of Service Desk technicians to deliver information services (IT) in support of continuous business operations 24/7/365. Oversees both onsite and offshore/off-hours customer support. Provides direction to staff, establishes work priorities, and evaluates proposed solutions to ensure the work contributes to achievement of the division’s business objectives. Contributes to and enforces departmental standards and policies. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results and meet service level agreements.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Planning & Navigating
- Provides direction to staff and establishes work priorities and ensures a smooth transition of work between shifts.
- Contributes to and enforces departmental standards and policies related to service management, including supporting the Incident/Problem Manager, and IT Asset Manager.
- Ensures that team commitments are tracked, managed, and meet or exceed expectations, while maintaining a high quality of service.
- Contributes to department strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business processes.
- Follows the governance process for technology projects, ensuring that project goals and decisions are based upon business priorities.
- Collaborates with other department leaders to identify business needs; plan, schedule, and coordinate work; and ensure integration of business needs and information technology solutions.
- Communicates with team regarding policies and procedures, projects and activities in other groups.
- Guides the team to ensure low cost operation and effective utilization of staff and equipment.
- Prepares budget estimates for staffing needs and costs of equipment, maintenance and tools.
- Creates and maintains staffing plans. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload.
- Provides management with accurate, timely and relevant information about the status of projects, personnel and activities within the team.
- Performs basic line supervision, including hiring, firing, conducting performance reviews, setting performance goals, developing subordinates, and managing performance and discipline.
- Creates support structures to ensure that adequate technical support for end users is maintained at all times. Ensures that the required technical tools and training are available to the staff providing support.
- Keeps abreast of technology changes and innovations in area of responsibility.
- Manages or coordinates vendor relationships and contracts for products, service and support.
- Analyzes, assesses and recommends improvements in programs and practices to ensure compliance with regulatory and internal controls.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration, or equivalent training and experience preferred.
- 2+ years as a team leader or specialist.
- 3+ years experience in the information technology profession.
- Experience leading project teams.
- Experience developing team-level plans and contributing to annual budgets preferred.
- Ability to supervise and direct technical work teams.
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and service providers in the information technology business preferred.
- Knowledge of methodologies, standards, procedures and organization that contribute to the development and deployment of technology solutions.
- Skills in resource management, project prioritization, problem-solving, issue management and negotiation, and mediation preferred.
- Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
- Experience with structured project life cycle, systems development management tools and service management methodologies such as Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Ability to manage customer and vendor relationships.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer