Sustainability Program Manager
Posted Date: Oct-26-2020
Job ID: 18533
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Public Affairs
Store: Greater Seattle Area
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This role will be instrumental in creating and managing core components of the Sustainability Team’s lead in the Fight for Life Outdoors at REI. As the Co-op recently committed to a new generation of sustainability goals, this role will create the processes that allow REI to operationalize and communicate its execution against these goals. Specifically, this role will create a scalable approach and program for carbon accounting and reporting for the entire Co-op. This role will also embed climate and sustainability goals throughout all product and business divisions at REI. The role requires knowledge of a variety of sustainability topics, the ability to partner across all business divisions, and an inquisitive mindset. The success of this role will be dependent on strategic and collaborative engagement with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Designs and manages a scalable carbon reporting program that allows for enterprise-level tracking of current state and progress on carbon reduction goals and targets for all of REI.
- Works with internal and external partners to build or identify carbon accounting tools that allow for carbon accounting budgeting and reporting within and across divisions at REI.
- Collaborates on design and ongoing implementation of REI’s carbon credit procurement strategy and investments in support of enterprise-wide carbon reductions.
- Collaborates and supports on select operational sustainability goals and objectives, such as REI’s renewable energy and zero waste initiatives, as well as broader green building and human health goals.
- Collaborates on design and management of an enterprise-level reporting program that allows for annual and ongoing reporting of sustainability and broader impact goals and targets for all of REI.
- Partners with key stakeholders to ensure the impacts of product design, materiality, and supply chain decisions are understood and managed in pursuit of REI’s carbon reduction goals.
- Partners with divisions across the Co-op to analyze the business case and governance structure for impact and sustainability goals.
- Partners with divisions across the Co-op to embed and scale climate and sustainability goals within divisional business plans and budgets.
- Leverages a design thinking and strategic mindset to work collaboratively across REI to define division-level sustainability priorities, problem definition and solutions in support of enterprise-level climate, resource and human health goals.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Education in Environmental Management, Sustainability or related field
- Advanced degree in Environment, Business or Strategy
- 5+ years of professional experience in ESG -- environmental, social, governance --– including specific experience within sustainability and carbon carbon accounting and reporting standards such as the GHG protocol, GRI or CDP.
- Experience creating and operationalizing cross-divisional initiatives
- Experience crafting the business case and plan for enterprise-level ESG goals, including strategic and financial analysis
- Experience developing documents and presentations for external distribution.
- Operates with a high degree of independence and accountability.
- Produces deliverables promptly and proactively anticipates future needs.
- Proven ability to identify, analyze and objectively problem solve with prompt and meticulous follow-through.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works effectively by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with various stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change, and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer