Test Engineer, Textiles and Materials - One Year Limited Term
Posted Date: Jul-24-2019
Job ID: 14077
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by:
Creation and execution of test protocols, requirements, and necessary test methods and equipment for testing new or existing technologies, materials, sub-assemblies, and products. Projects assigned to this role have moderate levels of difficulty, complexity or breadth of scope.
Test Engineers provide expert analysis of qualitative and quantitative test results, present objective recommendations to cross-functional product development teams, and make decisions in the best interest of our customer and our business.
Test Engineers act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Research, design and execute formal test plans pertaining to REI developed and competitor products
- In partnership with Manager, Test Engineering and/or Senior Test Engineers, establish test requirements for acceptable performance of materials, sub-assemblies, and whole products
- Direct the efforts of outside testing labs to ensure adherence to industry and internal standards
- Effectively execute all test requests coming into the lab, follow through on requests and ensure appropriate communication of results
- Perform DFMEAs and other analysis with cross functional teams to determine needs for new test requirements
- Design and iterate sketches, drawings, specifications, models and working prototypes to develop new test methods in the absence of standardized test methods
- Fabricate appropriate equipment in the absence of standardized test fixtures
- Maintain and readily communicate all internal procedures. Ensure procedures are up to date
- Maintain and readily communicate applicable test standards. Ensure standards are up to date
- Maintains archives of all lab test methods, procedures, protocols, documents, and records
- Maintains the lab, including ensuring timely equipment calibration and maintenance
- Serve as a testing consultant for all new technology and product developments
- Provide expert advice for failure analysis of product
- Keep informed of the latest developments in the field by reading trade journals, individual contacts and attendance at appropriate meetings and/or trade shows
- Approach challenges by creating and evaluating multiple alternatives
- Work within project schedules
- Acknowledge that your work affects the quality level of the final product
- Holds “specialist” role in at least one domain
- Perform other tasks as assigned
Bring your passion and expertise
- 4-year degree in Engineering or related field
- 3 year’s prior experience in a similar position
- Computer experience and knowledge of Microsoft applications required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Computer experience and knowledge of any of the following: data acquisition, MatLab, Octave, LabView, FEA or similar
- Strong familiarity with related testing practices, procedures and equipment
- Technical Aptitude - Ability to perform professional testing assignments of wide variety and complexity under general direction with considerable discretion as to work details given experience level
- Fostering Innovation - looking beyond the norm to develop new practices and embrace necessary change
- Effective Communication - Clear communication to internal and external customers in multiple formats (written, verbal)
- Patience / Listening / Respect - Thoughtful reflection and understanding of what others are saying before responding / reacting; acknowledging the needs and work of others
- Approachability - Always open to the needs of the team and customers
- Accepting Constructive Feedback - Utilizing the teams knowledge and individual strengths to improve upon work
- Accountability - Taking accountability for your actions
- Self Sufficient - Ability to complete test plans of wide variety and complexity under general direction with considerable discretion as to work details given experience level
- Multi-tasking - Ability to manage development of multiple projects at varying levels of completion, difficulty and size effectively during the same time
- Work Management - Strong project management, organizational skills, and acute attention to detail
- Professional Expertise - Possessing expertise in professional area with experience backing it up. Maintaining knowledge of current advancements in technical areas
- Fostering Partnerships - Building partnerships with internal customers
- Promoting Teamwork - Utilizing the power of the team over individual contributions
- Problem Solving - Effectively analyzing all aspects of a problem, gathering necessary data, consulting others, making an informed decision and communicating it to the appropriate people
- Product Knowledge - Knowledge of construction and quality of apparel, tents, packs, bags and other sewn products in general.
- Test Fabrication - Experience operating fabrication shop equipment
- Materials Knowledge – Knowledge of materials and their respective properties
- Quantifiable Results - Demonstrated solid training and understanding of statistical sampling, testing and analysis.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer