Training & Development Specialist
Posted Date: Feb-13-2019
Job ID: 13488
Job Function: Call Center
Store: Sales & Customer Support
What's cool about this job
Do you want to share your love of the outdoors and provide guidance, knowledge and authentic experiences to REI members and customers? Do you believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived? Join our team...
This job contributes to REI’s success by providing training and talent development solutions that support Sales and Customer Support (SCS) to deliver on REI’s business and operational goals. This includes partnering with the Supervisor and SCS Leadership to design and deliver learning and development objectives that maximize talent, engage our workforce and allows learners to demonstrate measurable improvement in skills, knowledge and confidence. Training deliverables include solutions designed to support SCS operations, New Hire Training and Orientation (Intro to the Co-op, Sales, Loyalty, Customer Service and Experiential training), Advanced Sales & Product Training and additional training as needed. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Understands REI’s strategic initiatives and partners with Supervisor, business leaders, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), peers and team members to determine talent and training needs.
- Researches industry trends and determines best practices to share with the team and recommend relevant approaches based on Co-op culture, content and audience.
- Works with the supervisors and training/service assurance teams to analyze talent and skill gaps, identify root causes and recommend strategies to improve performance.
- Acts as a project manager with the support of the training team and Supervisor to create training and development programs that engage employees, address talent gaps and improve performance.
- Develops and implements appropriate learning and performance solutions using varied design and distribution methods (virtual, classroom, blended and multi-media) tailored to the needs of the audience.
- Applies principles of adult learning, learning styles and various instructional design approaches and processes to learning solutions.
- Builds solid relationships with business leaders, partners and internal stakeholders and collaborates cross-divisionally to implement solutions across co-op.
- Ensures solutions are aligned and integrated with other internal talent management programs.
- Partners with vendors where necessary to support development and delivery of content.
- Builds feedback loop and evaluation of success metrics into training delivery cycle to assess effectiveness of programs.
- Utilizes feedback and metrics to make data driven decisions and recommendations to stakeholders and business leaders.
- Partners with subject matter experts for ongoing maintenance and updates to program materials.
- Adapts materials created for the classroom to e-learning, mobile, and social tools.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and facilitation skills to effectively host training events.
- Shared responsibility in managing: LMS administration, training intake process, temporary training and training support onboarding & leadership, administrative duties related to training preparation, course enrollment, class rosters, and training technical issue reporting/tracking.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 2+ years experience in an organizational development role and/or designing and delivering training content to a variety of audiences.
- 2+ years experience in a retail, sales/service industry or contact center environment.
- Degree or certificate in instructional design, training or related field and or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise with a Learning Management System (LMS) and learning and development software (Adobe Captivate, Articulate 360 or similar) preferred.
- Clear understanding of adult learning principles and training modalities.
- Strong familiarity with computer software and programs including but not limited to chat and email programs, order management systems, SharePoint and Microsoft Office.
- Basic project management skills including the ability to create action plans and timelines.
- Great command of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking and sound judgement.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others while remaining flexible in one’s viewpoints.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside of the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule based on business needs, including weekdays from 5am - 10pm and weekend
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer