User Experience Designer
Posted Date: Aug-27-2018
Job ID: 11701
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by participating in REI’s interaction design strategy and execution. The ideal candidate has a proven ability to drive interaction design improvements in a collaborative environment, and demonstrated experience in utilizing brand messaging, creative guidelines and strategy for innovative and revenue-driving features. Proven record of delivery of web site and mobile device interactions that combine strong usability with an engaging experience and integrated brand communications. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Develops, defines and recommends interaction design elements for REI websites and mobile devices
- Works closely with Brand Creative, User Experience, Development, Program Management and other teams to develop user-centered features and interactions
- Ensures maintenance of a cohesive customer experience as it evolves by contributing to a user interface style guide and pattern library.
- Observes and analyzes website and mobile use and creates positive user experiences based on quantitative and qualitative customer behavior and feedback
- Participates in the vision, strategy, and execution of an interaction design that is aligned with brand, marketing and business objectives.
- Provides innovative, customer centric, information and interaction design recommendations that contribute to an enhanced user experience.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3+ years in digital interaction design or closely-related field
- Extensive experience with Photoshop and Illustrator
- Understanding of user-centered design methods and techniques
- Demonstrated experience in execution of social media and community with user centered methodologies
- Strong knowledge of related disciplines such as user experience and brand communications
- Previous Mobile design experience preferred
- Previous eCommerce design experience preferred
- Previous experience working with Agile methodologies preferred
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams to promote open communication and teamwork
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes
- Degree preferred in related discipline: interaction or interface design, human-computer interaction, user centered design (or equivalent) preferred
Why you'll love it here
Joining Digital Retail at REI means you get to work with a team of immensely passionate and talented people, who value the mission of our Co-op and strive to deliver excellence and innovation every day. Our mission is to digitally inspire and enable outdoor discovery by driving a holistic customer-centric experience through collaborative ingenuity as we bring to life the 21st century Digital flagship.
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer