Vice President, Co-op Brands
Posted Date: Nov- 7-2019
Job ID: 16231
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Executive Leadership
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
The Vice President of Co-op Brands will create and communicate a vision for REI’s private brands, ensuring that agreed upon financial performance targets are achieved. He/she will be an expert in working with the complete product lifecycle including product design, development and manufacturing. As a change agent, he/she will define multi-year Co-op and market share objectives in collaboration with partners in our Merchandising division.
The Vice President of Co-op Brands will act as a trusted advisor to executive leadership and take an entrepreneurial approach to REI Co-op brands’ presence within the overall merchandise assortment. While this role is deeply rooted in leading the operational excellence of people and product commercialization, equally important is that he/she has an unwavering passion for product design, innovation, and quality.
- Accountable for execution of strategies affecting brand presence within the business unit. Has direct and lasting impact on overall corporate performance.
- Directs and develops multi-year, integrated cross-divisional strategies to achieve divisional goals.
- Ensures divisional and departmental strategies and initiatives are transparent to and socialized with cross-divisional business partners.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Develops and executes the plan for attainment of the Division’s long term strategic initiatives, goals and financial performance.
- Accountable for decisions that affect the Division and/or the Co-op for five or more years and have a significant impact on the financial or operational performance of the business unit.
- Defines Co-op brand and market share objectives.
- Benchmarks with external sources / other companies to develop a comprehensive sense of industry best practice-holistic brand level.
- Directs innovation strategy for private label brands and aligns cross divisionally to ensure consistency in approach with all partners.
- Establishes a culture of continuous process improvement; identifies, develops and executes on opportunities for process improvement.
- Sets direction for multi-year cadence and priorities, ratifies timeline milestones or changes for multi-year vision.
Bring your passion and expertise
- The successful candidate will have 15+ years in the outdoor and/or apparel industry and 10+ years in a leadership role.
- Proven track record of transformational leadership.
- The candidate will have significant experience in sales/marketing, sourcing and manufacturing, product design and development
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field and Master’s Degree in business or related field preferred.
- Experience with P&L responsibility.
- Experience operating within a multi-channel retail company with revenue of $2B+ strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the business of marketing including consumer need identification, public affairs, visual merchandising, and advertising preferred.
- Broad executive team interaction and experience working across various internal groups and providing overall company insights beyond functional role.
- Expert general management and broad business knowledge of the company’s strategies, finances, customers and competitors.
- Team leadership (100+ person team); strong mentoring and servant leader approach.
- Willingness to engage in international travel
- Passion and alignment with REI mission, team leadership and culture.
- Ensures accountability of themselves and others.
- Uses business insight, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
Leadership & Management
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Excellent communication, relationship building and influencing skills. The ability to be collaborative, drive progress, help the organization evaluate ideas from a design, innovation & and operations perspective.
- The ability to represent the whole company with internal and external audiences, consistent with the co-op’s values.
- Ability to help the company take appropriate business risks.
- Ability to anticipate, recognize and assess relevance of issues before escalating to major issues.
- The ability to influence and inspire through, around and with people in a fast-growing, dynamic organization.
- Unquestionable integrity, ethics, and judgment. The courage and ability to take a strong position in a culturally calibrated way as required for the good of the company.
- Strong skills in preparing and delivering high level formal and informal presentations to both internal and external clients. Presents complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- A team player with a high level of self and cross-cultural awareness.
- Demonstrated track record of building strong and enduring relationships and teams.
- Intellectually curious with a balance of EQ and IQ that drives understanding of complex business, economic, political and social issues and trends.
- Passion for the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer