Notice: This page is intended to provide updates regarding hiring/recruiting practices during the COVID-19 Pandemic. If you are looking for general COVID-19 REI Co-op updates, please visit this page.
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATES
REI is closely following the latest news on the Coronavirus Diseaseand implementing processes that promote candidate and employee safety. As our CEO Eric Artz has shared, in some places, “opening” our stores will mean curbside service for orders placed online for now. In others, our doors will open for a limited number of customers. In every case, we’ll be taking precautions for the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities. We have health and safety procedures in place for our store teams. We’ll also be closely following guidance from national, state and local authorities to make sure we’re operating in compliance with any restrictions in your area.
What to expect if you're selected to interview for a job at REI:
- If an in-person interview is necessary, and state/local guidance allows, you’ll be required to follow same guidelines as employees including:
- Do a health screening prior to the interview. If your temperature is above 100.4 degrees your interview will need to be rescheduled.
- Wear a face covering or mask. If you do not have a mask, we will provide one.
- Follow social distancing guidelines of remaining 6 feet apart during the interview.
What to expect once you've been hired:
- Before starting a job with REI, all employees are asked to read and acknowledge that they have read our Employee Handbook, as well as acknowledge that you are willing to adhere to the Co-op's health and safety standards.
- Employees are required to wear face coverings while in REI locations – this includes stores, distribution centers and any location being staffed by employees deemed “essential personnel.”
- Certain jobs will require employees to use gloves, but we are making gloves available to all staff who choose to use them.
- We are requiring employees to check for COVID symptoms before each shift and to stay home if they feel unwell, and managers are empowered and trained to send visibly sick staff home.
- We are also rolling out temperature check devices to all locations. As these become available, we will require an on-the-clock (paid) health screening including a temperature check upon arrival for work each day. Anyone with a fever of 100.4 or higher will be required to go home.
- Due to our enhanced COVID-19 cleaning procedures (including thorough, frequent cleanings of high-touch surface areas), all roles may require additional duties related to this and our daily standard cleaning services.
To request a reasonable accommodation you might require during the application or recruiting process, please contact us. Does this change apply to all roles?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Yes; as this is an evolving situation, your recruiting contact will confirm the details of your specific interview.
I was invited to participate in an in-person interview but I would prefer virtual. Is that an option?
Yes. Let your recruiting contact know that you would prefer a virtual interview instead and they will assist you.
Do I need to use video for the interview or can I just dial in via phone?
We ask that you use video for your virtual interview. Let your recruiting contact know if you do not have access to a webcam or smart phone camera.
Do you treat virtual interviews the same as onsite interviews?
While the setup is different, we treat virtual interviews the same as in-person.
Please reach out to your recruiting contact if you have any other questions.