Certified Technician - Northbrook
Posted Date: Jun-26-2017
Job ID: 8165
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Retail Operations
What's cool about this job
This is a hands-on position and allows you to work on bike, ski, and snow equipment on a daily basis! The Certified Technician has primary responsibility for operating the store’s service department, ensuring safety standards are met and providing exceptional customer service. To ensure your “pro-status”, within 6 months of hire you will have the opportunity to attend the Barnett Bicycle Institute to receive your REI certification. In addition to being a service savant, typical work for this position includes:
- Scheduling and monitoring the production of shop work to meet customer demand
- Working with management to build, train and certify a team of technicians to carry out shop service and rental department functions.
- Managing risk to REI by ensuring all shop employees are trained and certified to the level of work they perform and all work meets REI and vendor quality and safety specifications.
- Assembling and repairing action sports equipment to REI and/or vendor standards
- Preserving complete and accurate shop records and maintaining record keeping systems
- Completing Post Accident inspections and reports as necessary
- Acting as liaison between customer, store, AHQ, and vendor on resolving highest-level repair problems
- Resolving action sports equipment non-conformity and warranty issues
- Researching and reporting significant quality and safety issues to Assistant Store Manager and the Product Quality Research Analyst at AHQ. Advising of alternatives or solutions before proceeding with work.
- Ordering shop materials, tools, supplies, and parts
- Assisting immediate supervisor in evaluating staff needs including hiring, scheduling and evaluating staff performance
- Maintaining equipment and ensuring a clean, secure and safe work environment
Bring your passion and expertise
You live and breathe REI equipment. You’re a builder. You’re a trainer. You’re a safety maven. Our Certified Technicians are responsible for operating the store’s service department, ensuring safety standards are met and providing exceptional customer service. If you like repairing equipment, managing risk, and building teams of technicians to carry out service department functions then this is the role for you! Read on for the qualifications we look for in our Certified Technicians:
- Successful completion of Barnett Bicycle Institute/REI certification within 6 months of hire
- 1+ year’s bike and/or ski shop experience or equivalent. Previous shop management experience is preferred.
- Proven problem-solving ability: effectively identifying, analyzing, following through and resolving issues and a proven ability to show attention to detail
- Interest in working in an environment committed to providing a superior sales and service experience while increasing sales through service.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and develop others, and build a strong shop team.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills: clear, concise and positive. Proven ability to maintain open and positive relations with employees and customers.
- Demonstrated personal effectiveness and interest in developing own skills and knowledge
- Availability to work a flexible schedule based on business needs, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to up to 50 pounds, with assistance
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer