The Merchandise Manager, Assortments contributes to REI’s success by leading critical Merchandising strategies, consistently driving successful outcomes through the generation and analysis of statistical data for product categories with a focus on assortment and space optimization. This role supports Merchandising strategy with accountability around assortment tier/segment targets for a merchandise area, critical business initiatives and budget objectives, the development of a financial view of recommended style and choice count by tier, classification and attribute, and the utilization of space productivity measurements to drive assortment decisions. Reports to DVP, Merchandising Strategies.
• Conduct analysis and identify the optimal department/location/assortment group definitions to achieve maximum sales while properly fitting within the selling footprint of the store.
• Leverage current tool(s) to identify assortment opportunities through monthly and seasonal hindsight at department and location group levels.
• Manage inventory plan for new stores though cross-functional partnerships as well as analyze and execute on feedback from the stores regarding their assortments.
• Create the alignment necessary between financial, product and location plans.
• Provide opportunity/risk modeling to stakeholders based on an in-depth review of business on a seasonal basis.
• Build and support strong relationships with the product team to influence effective assortment decision making.
• Work cross-divisionally to communicate current and future business trends, align with cross-divisional stakeholders regarding assortment architecture decisions.
• Model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
• Analyzes data, builds the plan and executes the seasonal process that aligns departmental merchandising assortment groups with locations, called category management.
• Accountable for building new processes and tools to support future creation of complex assortment groups at levels lower than department (class/ subclass/ product) based on relevant attributes (store location, customer profile, demographics, temperature, etc.).
• Assesses and makes recommendations for assortment group changes to ensure products fit on the retail selling floor.
• Accountable for the process of cultivating, retrieving and analyzing seasonal assortment feedback provided by the retail managers.
• Accountable for supporting the new store opening process to include analysis of the market, annual store sales and inventory plans, cross divisional merchant representative, and initial analysis of store metrics and reporting. Includes pre/post go-live communication to all stakeholders.
• Develop and maintain financial benchmarks of style/choice productivity by category and class.
• Accountable to include customer insights data in analysis and make recommendations to product teams based on this data to improve assortment groups.
• Ad-hoc analysis as assigned.