Senior Public Affairs Associate - Corporate
Posted Date: Jul- 5-2017
Job ID: 8112
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Public Affairs
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by serving as a communications expert on sustainability, community impact and local media relations. Success in this role results in supporting programs and projects that lead to positive reputation impact for REI. Responsibilities include serving as a spokesperson for REI, developing stewardship communications strategy, effectively positioning REI with external stakeholders and directing agency support. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Develops communication strategies and processes
- Creates advocates among key influencers who can promote REI as a leader on sustainability and community giving
- Creates media materials and assets (press releases, talking points, templates, etc.)
- Develops and implements strategic media and content plans to leverage traditional and new media Monitors, analyzes and reports on social and new media issues and opportunities, and makes recommendations for adjustments to team strategies
- Conducts proactive and reactive media outreach (corporate, stewardship, store, and outreach-related)
- Contributes to public relations planning
- Manages external agency and freelancers
- Develops and conduct news analysis strategies
- Manages escalated communications received by Public Affairs for response on a range of company subjects, serves as a liaison to cross divisional teams through counsel and templates, and provides analysis on traffic and process improvements
- Supports escalated customer/ member communications pertaining on behalf of clients
- Counsels, media trains, and/or prepares company spokespeople through media training and talking points
- Counsels and collaborates on communications strategies with external stakeholders
- 5+ years experience in the public relations arena, with an emphasis on media relations, product launches and public relations campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations/public affairs, communications or journalism or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated understanding of public relations principles/practices and professional ethics in a corporate or agency setting
- Proven success in developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating strategic, creative and results-oriented public relations programs
- Proven success in identifying and fostering strong relationships with key local and national media outlets
- Strong working knowledge of news media operations, and ability to provide effective media relations training and counsel
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer